This page aims to keep our Market community up to date on any onsite projects, local construction works or other events that may impact your visit.
Over the next few years, we will be revitalising the South Melbourne Market asset to improve customer and trader experience, visitor safety and connection to our local community.
South Melbourne Market continues to thrive in the local community and at 156 years old, it is operating within ageing infrastructure.
The Market has a range of works planned over the next few years to address some of its long-term challenges including compliance with updated building regulations, Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) requirements, and visitor safety. This includes more toilet facilities, accessible options to access the rooftop carpark, regrading non-compliant aisles within the Market and reducing conflict between traffic and pedestrians.
As it moves into the future, planning and additional investment through Project Connect will ensure it continues to deliver a sustainable, safe and inclusive market experience for years to come.
While undertaking these compliance requirements, we will also be designing and implementing some improvements to retain the Market’s charm and history, ensuring it remains an authentic community market for our locals.
This may include widening the Market’s footpaths to improve pedestrian flow outside the Market, increasing public space and providing more seating.
To read more and have your say on the project, click here.
One of the capital improvement projects identified as a requirement to address building compliance at the Market is the installation of an additional egress stair from the Level 1 carpark to the York Street carpark in case of emergency such as fire.
This project will see minor disruptions within the York Street carpark, with the majority of works taking place on non-market days. It will also include the relocation of an accessible carpark.
This project is currently scheduled for delivery in March – May 2024, with further details on the project to be shared as they are confirmed.
South Melbourne Market is currently implementing a range of improvements onsite as part of our Traffic Management Plan, which aims to improve safety, vehicle movement and customer experience.
Some of these improvements include:
- New boom gates at the entry and exit of our loading bay to improve patron safety in busy vehicle areas.
- New line markings and signage on Coventry Street to provide designated loading bays and safe positioning of vehicles.
- New traffic signals in the laneway adjacent to the Coventry Childcare Centre and light rail to support forklift and vehicle movement.
- Warning lights installed at the entrance of Centre Aisle (at Coventry and York Streets) to indicate when forklifts and vehicles are exiting.
- Installation of scissor fencing to allow for temporary footpath closures and pedestrian rerouting at each end of Coventry Street during trader delivery periods (non-market trading days/hours).
Should you have any questions or would like further information about the Market’s Traffic Management Plan improvements, contact us.