South Melbourne Market is owned and operated by the City of Port Phillip, and managed by a Special Advisory Committee of the Port Phillip Council under the Local Government Act.
South Melbourne Market Committee
The South Melbourne Market Committee has the responsibility of overseeing the Market on behalf of Council. The Committee meets on a bi-monthly basis and meetings are open to the public. The Committee comprises of:
- three independent members:
- Jo Plummer (Chairperson)
- Andrew Danson
- Simon Talbot
- two City of Port Phillip Councillors:
- Cr Marcus Pearl
- Cr Heather Cunsolo
- one non-voting senior officer of Council: Kylie Bennetts.
The independent members were all appointed following an open advertising and selection process from a large and highly qualified field of candidates. Each independent was required to demonstrate specific skills relevant to oversee the Market, as well as a strong local association and love of markets.
You can contact the Committee by email: email@example.com
Meeting Dates 2021
For those wishing to attend South Melbourne Market Committee meetings, the meetings are held at 6pm on:
- Thursday 18 February - Due to COVID-19 restrictions in Victoria, this meeting was held online via WebEx.
- Click here to view meeting recording (password: TmM5bMqg)
- Thursday 22 April - Food Hall, South Melbourne Market
- Thursday 3 June - Food Hall, South Melbourne Market
- Thursday 5 August - Food Hall, South Melbourne Market
- Thursday 7 October - Food Hall, South Melbourne Market
- Thursday 16 December - Food Hall, South Melbourne Market
If you wish to ask a question or make a public comment at a South Melbourne Market Committee Meeting, please submit using the form below. Questions must be submitted by 4pm on the day of the meeting; questions submitted after this time may not be addressed.
Meeting Agendas and Minutes
If you would like to be sent a copy of archived agendas and minutes, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Annual Report 2019/20
The Annual Report 2019/20 (PDF 320 KB) for the Market has been adopted by Council.
Strategic Plan 2015-20 Summary
The South Melbourne Market Strategic Plan 2015-20 was endorsed by the City of Port Phillip on 9 February 2016.
Market Mix Policy and Five Year Market Mix Strategy
South Melbourne Market has cemented itself as a unique village experience seen nowhere else across Melbourne and Australia. It is an urban food forest full of quirky and playful characters and art.
This Market Mix Policy and Five Year Market Mix Strategy (PDF 466 KB) has been developed to ensure the Market stays relevant to the community and remains one of Melbourne’s favourite markets.
A wide range of research studies have been reviewed in the development of this policy and strategy which is summarised in this document for the community.