South Melbourne Market is owned and operated by the City of Port Phillip and managed by a Special Advisory Committee of the Port Phillip Council under the Local Government Act. Click here to read more about the Market's Committee.
South Melbourne Market, the Quintessential Village Market. A prosperous, authentic destination that is home to fresh, artisanal and cultural products; creative and joyful experiences; celebrates local; is a leader in sustainability; is loved, trusted and connects our customers and community.
The South Melbourne Market will achieve our Vision by:
- Being a trusted destination for quality, value, fresh and extensive offer
- Being a safe, accessible and inclusive market for the whole community
- Embracing and curating all that is local, artisanal, emerging, cultural and creative
- Remaining a loved, happy, quirky and experiential destination – full of moments of surprise and wonder – Continuing to be environmentally and economically sustainable – a financially secure urban experience, living and breathing green
- Being accessible – physically and online
City of Port Phillip Council Plan
The Market is aligned to the Council's 2021-31 strategic plan that details five strategic directions:
- Inclusive: A City that is a place for all members of our community, where people feel supported and comfortable being themselves and expressing their identities.
- Liveable: A City that is a great place to live, where our community has access to high quality public spaces, development and growth are well-managed, and it is safer and easy to connect and travel within.
- Sustainable: A City that has a sustainable future, where our environmentally aware and active community benefits from living in a bayside city that is greener, cooler, cleaner and climate resilient.
- Vibrant: A City that has a flourishing economy, where our community and local businesses thrive, and we maintain and enhance our reputation as one of Melbourne’s cultural and creative hubs.
- Well-Governed: A City that is a leading local government authority, where our community and our organisation are in a better place as a result of our collective efforts.
Our Performance 2023-24
Annual Report 2022-23
The South Melbourne Market 2022-23 Annual Report was endorsed by the City of Port Phillip in October 2023.
Strategic Plan 2021-25 Summary
The South Melbourne Market Strategic Plan 2021-25 was endorsed by the City of Port Phillip in June 2021.
Environmental Sustainability Strategy 2023-27
The Market's first Environmental Sustainability Strategy was launched in 2023.