- 100 g bean thread noodles (replace with buckwheat noodles for a gluten-free option)
- 500 g raw green prawns in shell
- 1 bunch coriander, washed and coarsely chopped
- 1 bunch Vietnamese mint, leaves picked, washed and coarsely chopped
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, cut into thin strips
- 1 small carrot, peeled and cut into very fine strips
- 1 tbsp fried shallots
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 4 tbsp lime juice
- 1 long red chilli, finely sliced
Soak the noodles in boiling water for 8 minutes or until softened. Drain well and return to large bowl. Place prawns in the perforated cooking insert of your Neff steam oven, with the solid insert on the next level down. Cook prawns on the steam cooking setting /100°C for approx 5 minutes or until bright pink in colour. If you do not have a Neff steam oven, steam the prawns on your cooktop. Remove prawns, cool slightly. Remove heads, peel and cut prawns in half, lengthwise. Remove all traces of the black vein.
Combine all dressing ingredients and stir until sugar has fully dissolved. Add prawns, coriander, mint, cucumber and carrot to noodles. Toss well. Toss in dressing just before serving. Serve sprinkled with fried shallots.
Notes: You will find that the texture of the prawns prepared this way is worth the extra effort. If you are short on time used peeled green prawns. Fried shallots adds a little crunch to this salad. You could also use peanuts.
- Brought to you by
- Neff Australia’s Senior Home Economist, Lyn Harwood