Image is indicative only and does not reflect the exact ingredients in this recipe.
- 750g minced beef
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 tsp sambal oelek
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3 tsp ground lemongrass, found in the freezer at Asian grocers
- 4 tsp sesame oil
- 2 bags or bundles of betel leaves. Count 4 to 6 leaves for each skewer. Wash and pat dry
- crushed peanuts, to serve
- slices of cucumber, carrots, chilli and spring onion, to serve
- 4 spring onions
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
Combine all ingredients to marinate meat. This should be prepared the night before.
Place a tablespoon of meat in the middle of leaf and roll, then skewer. Use similar-sized leaves together on one skewer for even cooking.
For sizzling scallions, wash, dry and chop spring onions. Heat oil. Once the oil is hot, put in spring onions until they are evenly wilted. Do not overcook.
To serve: Grill on BBQ or pan fry.
Once cooked arrange on a plate and put some sizzling scallions over the top before sprinkling with crushed peanuts.
Garnish plates with slices of cucumber, carrots, chilli and serve.
Have extra dipping fish sauce on the side. Enjoy!
Note: this recipe was demonstrated in Van’s class 'Vietnamese Street Food', April 2019. It is reproduced with permission from Van Le-Hugh.
- Brought to you by
- Van Le-Hugh, culinary teacher of Blue Chilli Kitchen