A simple, yet satisfying and healthy meal in the cooler months.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large leeks, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced and rinsed
- 4 cups chopped cauliflower florets (from 1 medium head)
- 2½ cups low-fat milk, divided
- 2 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white or black pepper
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add leeks and cook, stirring until very soft (about 5 minutes).
Add cauliflower, 2 cups milk, water, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring often. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cauliflower is soft (about 8 minutes).
Meanwhile, whisk the remaining 1/2 cup milk and flour in a small bowl. When the cauliflower is soft, remove the bay leaf and stir in the milk mixture. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring until the soup has thickened slightly (about 2 minutes more).
Remove from the heat. Stir in cheese and lemon juice.
- Brought to you by
- the Market staff