Inspired by Ottolenghi's pavlova in 'Sweet', this is a Swiss meringue style pavlova. Make sure you read tips and tricks on the Gewurzhaus blog before you start baking.
- 166g egg whites (approx. 4 large eggs)
- 170g Caster Sugar
- 130g Coconut Sugar
- 1 tsp Gewürzhaus Cinnamon Ground
- 1/8 tsp Gewürzhaus Green Cardamom Seed Ground
- 1½ tbsp Gewürzhaus Cardamom Pistachio Sugar
- 1½ cups thickened cream
- ½ tsp Gewürzhaus Rose Petal Powder
- 3 kiwis, peeled and cut into 0.5cm discs
- 1 mango, peeled and cut into 0.5cm discs off the cheeks
- 1 small tin of passionfruit in syrup
- Gewürzhaus Cardamom Pistachio Sugar to sprinkle
Preheat oven to 100°C (fan-forced) and boil water in the kettle.
Draw a 25cm diameter circle on baking paper by placing the baking tray upside down. Set aside.
Separate egg whites and weigh into a very clean, dry bowl. Weigh in caster and coconut sugar.
Fill a saucepan with approx. 2 to 3 cups boiling water and place on low to medium heat on your stove. Select a saucepan that will allow the egg white bowl to sit on top of it, without touching the water.
Combine sugars and egg whites, then whisk by hand. Whisk gently until it reaches 60°C ( use a sugar thermometer).
Remove from heat once all sugar crystals have dissolved. Add spice and whisk with an electric beater on medium for approx. 5 minutes, until mixture is glossy, thick and stiff. Spread onto baking paper with a spatula, staying within the circle. The centre should be a bit lower than the outside.
Bake for 3 hours, occasionally opening the oven to let moisture escape. Leave in oven for 2 more hours with the door ajar.
Beat cream with an electric mixer. Once it starts to thicken, beat in rose powder and sugar. Spread on top of pavlova evenly.
Layer kiwifruit, then mango, then pour the passionfruit over the top. Finish with a sprinkle of pomegranate and cardamom pistachio sugar.
- Brought to you by
- Our Spice Merchants - Gewürzhaus