What you need to know
Card fees apply from 1 April 2019 for City of Port Phillip payments by card. These surcharges are not subject to GST. When you make your payment, you will be advised of the total amount including the fee before you finalise your payment.
- Visa / Mastercard: 1.16%
- Amex: 0.65%
- Eftpos / Debit: 0.59%
For more information, visit the City of Port Phillip card fees.
Please note that the Market ceased selling gift vouchers from 31 October 2019. Some traders have gift vouchers for their specific stalls, enquire direct in store.
South Melbourne Market reserves the right to cancel or postpone an event should unforeseen circumstances occur.
If the Event is postponed and rescheduled to another date as a result of COVID-19 requirements or restrictions, South Melbourne Market will advise customers of the rescheduled date.
- Tours are subject to minimum numbers.
- South Melbourne Market reserves the right to cancel a tour if minimum numbers are not met.
- Maximum of 4 tickets can be booked per person.
- Bookings are transferable to another person.
- Bookings may be transferred to a later tour date if a request is made in writing no later than two weeks prior to the tour date by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tours are subject to minimum numbers.
- Bookings may be refunded or transferred to a later date if a request is made in writing no later than two weeks prior to the tour date by emailing email@example.com
- If some students do not attend on the day, their fee cannot be refunded.
- We favour stalls with locally designed or made, fashion and lifestyle products.
- We seek to have an eclectic mix of stalls that are relevant to our target market.
- SO:ME Space is an opportunity for designers to test retail concepts and creative boundaries without the restrictive outlays of traditional rent.
- No food stalls will be accepted for the SO:ME Space.
Layout and size
- SO:ME Space pop-ups occupy a space of around 6m x 1.5m.
- There are a total of four pop-ups.
Availability and costs
- Pop-ups are available by the week, for a minimum of four and maximum of eight weeks. The rate for these spaces is $300 per week.
- The pop-ups are available in weekly blocks and you must operate as per the hours of trading below.
- Penalty rates and special conditions apply for the Christmas period (the full six weeks from the start of December until the middle of January). Stalls are $500 per week and bookings during this time are only considered for the full six-week period. No shorter-term stalls will be considered over this period.
Hours of trading
You must adhere to the same trading hours as the general Market. If trading hours change, which often occurs around Easter, Christmas, public holidays and special events, you must open accordingly (this is non-negotiable).
- Wednesday 8 am to 4 pm
- Friday 8 am to 5 pm
- Saturday and Sunday 8 am to 4 pm
Failing to open on time and close on time will result in early termination of your booking.
- All basic fixtures are provided. You are not permitted to bring your own fixtures without permission. Fixtures include:
- built-in shelving
- clothes rails
- lockable storage or display unit.
- freestanding clothing racks on request (up to two per stall).
- All stallholders will have access to 15Amp power. If you require more power, you will need to use your own power supply.
- Stallholders need to bring their own extension leads and power boards. All electrical equipment must be tested and tagged by a suitably qualified person before being brought to the pop-up.
- Pre-book only. All stalls must be booked and paid for in advance.
- There are no refunds for cancellations or non-attendance.
- If you do not give 12 hours notice for not trading, you will incur a $100 non-attendance charge for each day you are not present.
- The Market reserves the right to relocate stalls for a better fit.
- No sub-licensing allowed.
- Stall selection is at the sole discretion of South Melbourne Market management.
- Stallholders must follow the Market Rules.
- Stallholders will be fined or charged for the replacement of any lost or damaged fixtures (at the discretion of Market Management).
- In the event that permission has been given by Market Management for a stallholder to commence a pop-up prior to full payment having been received, payment must be received by the date set by Market Management. If payment is not received by the set date, the stallholder may be asked to remove all goods and vacate the stall immediately. Failure to comply with this request may result in the Market removing the stallholder's goods and storing them at the stallholder's expense as per the conditions for a Licensee.
By agreeing to our Terms and Conditions you agree to give indemnity for the period of occupancy to the Port Phillip City Council (hereinafter called 'the Council').
In consideration of the Council granting a permit, the Indemnifier agrees to indemnify and to keep indemnified against, and to hold harmless the Council, its servants and agents, and each of them from, all actions, costs, claims, charges, expenses, penalties, demands and damages whatsoever which may be brought or made or claimed against them, or any of them, arising out of, or in relation to the Indemnifier's performance or purported performance under the permit granted by the Council and is directly related to negligent acts, errors or omissions of the Indemnifier.
The Indemnifier’s liability to indemnify the Council shall be reduced proportionally to the extent that any act of omission of the Council, its servants or agents, contributed to the loss or liability.
Terms and Conditions for pop-up stalls in SO:ME Space over the Christmas period (the six weeks from the start of December until the middle of January) are the same as for the rest of the year as outlined above, with these exceptions:
- Stalls must be booked for the full six weeks
- Stalls are $500 per week - $3,000 in total for the full six weeks.
- The Community Space is available for periods of one to four weeks although this may be negotiated at the discretion of Market Management.
- Community Space operators must adhere to Market Rules. However, an exception may be made regarding hours of operation in the case of Community Groups staffed solely by volunteers.
- Duration of pop-up is determined by Market Management and is non-negotiable.
- Community Space operators are responsible for bumping in and out and setting up or dismantling any displays, goods or other items to be used during their pop-up in the space. Market staff are not available to assist with this.
- Any goods and chattels brought into the space by the group renting it are the sole responsibility of that group. Market Management takes no responsibility for loss or damage of items belonging to the operators of the space.
- Public Liability Insurance is provided by the Market but this only covers damage to the stall fittings and to third parties, ie customers and visitors to the Market.
- Where food is to be sold, it must be pre-packaged (no preparation or cooking on site) and the stallholder must have a valid Streatrader statement of trade.
- Stallholders must operate within the boundaries of the stall and are not to conduct activities commercial or otherwise elsewhere in the Market, such as handing out flyers, spruiking or asking for donations.
- Any costs incurred from damage to the space or damage or loss of its fittings must be borne by the stallholder.
- Stallholders must complete a checklist regarding the condition of the stall and its fixtures when bumping out and will be charged accordingly if any item is damaged or missing.
- Busking at the Market is only permitted for those holding a valid permit. A passport-style photograph must be attached to the photography permit to identify the permit holder. Permits are not transferable.
- Busking is only permitted in the designated busking locations within the Market. No bookings are required.
- Buskers may only perform for a maximum of 45 minutes at any one location.
- Busking activity which causes annoyance to stallholders, local residents or the general public may be terminated at the direction or discretion of a member of the Victoria Police or Market Management.
- No nuisance may be committed. Buskers must not upset any member of the public by their performance or behaviour.
- Permits shall not be held by persons performing on behalf of any political or religious organisation.
- No obstruction to pedestrian or other traffic movements will be caused by a busker.
- Busking permit holders are not permitted to ask for or necessarily expect payment of any kind based on their busking performance.
- The permit holder shall not advertise or associate him or herself with advertising in conjunction with any performance.
- Buskers are not permitted to use public Market seating and must bring their own stool if required.
- Buskers must keep clear of entrances to stalls at all times and are not permitted to busk in front of or beside ATMs.
- No permit holder may sell, offer or expose for sale any article or commodity.
- A fee of $50 (or $20 for those aged 15 and under) is to be paid for a 12 month permit.
- Please note that refunds will not be provided if you fail to collect your approved permit.
- Buskers must obtain Personal and Public Liability Insurance, or have registered with the City of Port Phillip Community Liability Insurance Policy, and must comply with the terms of our Busking permit to be covered.
- Persons 15 years and under must be accompanied by a parent or guardian when performing.
- The use of fire, knives, swords, chainsaws or any other dangerous instruments is prohibited under any circumstances. This includes instruments that have been modified for safety but can still be perceived as dangerous.